Friday, November 17, 2017
It's not that I'm squeamish, precisely, but who wants to try to identify a snake once it is hanging from your big toe by it's tiny lil teeth?
As in this previous post about our house snakes
I am not sure what kind of fellow this is. That is a standard size heat register, and normally hidden by quarter round trim sized gap for scale. My assumption was it was a young snake, but I could certainly be wrong on that score. So, if anyone's
guesser is charged up, feel free to share your thoughts. I still have the link to Kansas snakes by type and appearance but, like before, it doesn't seem to help me much.
Maybe next time I run into him, I'll get a better picture. Yes, I expect to see him again. Apparently normal people would have interrupted their schedule long enough to show the visitor to the door.
Apparently I am not normal. All I know is he was missing when I came back in, and I have taken to wearing my indoor boots inside :).
Tuesday, July 25, 2017
(April 23, 1962 - June 24, 2017)
(April 23, 1962 - June 24, 2017)
Shaun was born April 23, 1962, in MN, and died suddenly on June 24, 2017.
While in MN he worked a variety of jobs, including Scenic carpenter and artist for Design Group and KTCA TV. He participated in the restoration of the commuter vessel the Windrose, and was employed as a machine builder, contract and electrical technician with many companies.
He relocated in 2001 in order to pursue “the dream job of a lifetime.” Although he never regretted the move, he did miss those left behind, the beautiful scenery of his home state, and the opportunities to canoe, hike and fish for walleye it offered.
Posted by jewlz at 3:47 PM
Thursday, May 4, 2017
We added two buffs and two Easter eggers to the mix, and were looking forward to lovely colored eggs and home hatched chickens.
As anyone who's lived with little chickens knows, however, the bloom quickly fades off of that rose. The day comes all too soon when you simply can't abide another moment of the messy, annoying youngsters brooding indoors with you. At this point out. they. go. Ready. or. Not! Our chicks, or rather, we, reached this milestone on July fourth 2016, despite not really having an exit plan fleshed out. I wasn't confident throwing them all together in the chicken coop immediately was wise, so I took a probably dumber approach, and housed the younger group in the run section of the the coop. We then had a total of nine hens and two roosters, which instead of adding to our big rooster's harem as we'd planned, divided it into an even smaller group.
Still, things seemed to work out, for the most part. Eventually, we put the youngers in the actual coop, and that too seemed OK at first. The first signs that it wasn't ok was when a couple of the ladies began roosting in the near by tree, and then the goat barn, instead of their coop. After a week or so of getting them disciplined enough to turn into the coop, they started vanishing. :(. No signs of fowl play, as they'd say, nor of any intra rooster animosity. . . they just disappeared. All told, three of the Rhode Island Reds, the Black Easter egger, and red rooster ended up gone.
|Emptier Chicken Yard|
I expected to find them at the coop door one morning, or at least find bodies, somewhere, but nary a single clue surfaced. One gal had even been decked out in a bright yellow saddle, and scraps of that haven't turned up, either. So. . . not the first loss, we did lose a little chicken to accident the first year. However, these losses seem some how preventable- I should of housed them more securely, had a better plan for integration been wiser and kinder and forseen the looming problem in time to avert it.
None of those things were options, though, so instead we decided to use the last bit of outdoor work time adding to and beefing up animal housing.
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
To the left is a shot of the barn, from the lane that runs on the north side of it. This is the back of the barn. One of our goals for 2016 was to work on taming this "block" of outbuildings. Ironically, we decided it was too over grown to put the goats in charge of weed eating. That task fell- and felled- us. We'd no sooner get the weeds knocked back enough to start the fencing than they'd grow back. I'm firmly convinced the area is one of Dante's circles!
This is a shot looking to the west, at one of the times progress had been made.
This is a shot looking to the east that also captures a time of some progress.
The front "lane" or south side of the buildings was also terribly over grown and neglected.
The area also received much of our blood sweat and tears throughout '16. But again there was little to show for it in terms of permanent improvements.
We ended that quarter with a nice little va-ca, again to the family cabin up north, on the shore of lake superior. That area did help us remember that our landscape was practically barren compared to some.
Monday, April 10, 2017
It is far less clear where to lay blame for the chicken's bumpy road, though. In fact, not knowing what was going on or what the ultimate resolution would be is why I quit posting- it was the next subject I planned to address, and to this day, I still don't know the who what where whens or whys of the situation. But those details can wait till the next post.